Tuesday, August 10, 2010

St Louis Vacation - Day 1


Friday, July 23, 2010


We decided to actually go somewhere for our vacation this year instead of staying at home. Greg and Sabrina boarded an Amtrak train at Union Station in Kansas City and started out on an adventure across Missouri.


I chose NOT to ride the train due to a bad experience on a trip to New Mexico when I was 12. It's not that I'm against adventure, but if you already know you are going to be sick, why torture yourself, right?


Anyway, we decided that by me driving separately to St. Louis, it would eliminate the need to rent a car when we got there so as far as I was concerned, it was a win-win senario!


One of the first things we did when we got there was to have lunch somewhere down town. We chose this little eatery that is specific to St Louis, the St. Louis Bread Company. We decided that it really was a Panera in disguise. It had the same food as Panera, the same decorations as Panera and even their take-out bags said Panera. We just couldn't figure out why they called it something different. I guess it's one of those weird Missouri things like saying Mizzourah instead of Missour-EE.


After lunch we checked into our motel which was actually fairly nice considering the area it was located in looked like London after World War II. We decided they must be trying to "revitalize" the area.
Then we headed to the arch.

If you haven't been there, here is a shot of a tree-lined park leading you to the arch. Very beautiful.

We saw a movie about Lewis and Clark and then Greg and Sabrina went up in the arch.

You guessed it, I did not go up due to the hurl factor! They, however, enjoyed every swaying moment of it.

While I waited for them, some grandma-type person sat on my purse! I couldn't believe it! When I yanked it out from under her, she only said, "Oh thank you!" and slid her tushy right up next to mine.

She weirded me out so much I had to leave. Yes, I have personal space issues. I'm sure it was her evil ploy the whole time!

Once we were back at the motel, we dined on delicious cuisine that is only available in St. Louis. Dominos Pizza! Only THEY didn't try to fool us tourists with a different name.

We decided we were too hot and sweaty to go anywhere else so we watched HBO in our room and enjoyed the fact that we had cranked the A/C down to 60 before we went to the arch!

Stay tuned for days 2 and 3!!


3 comments:

  1. awesome trip we are haveing a staycation actualy this week

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you guys had a great time! Wonderful pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Due to better air conditioning, the train would have been an improvement over 1978.

    ReplyDelete